I’ve tried a lot of different clear acrylic scrapbooking supplies, and so far Clear Scraps products are by far my favorite.
There are a lot of choices out there for clear albums. I remember how overwhelmed I felt when I tried to choose my first one. I had no idea what to look for or which one to try first. Clear Scraps albums weren’t the first ones I tried, but looking back, I wish they had been. If you’re new to working with clear acrylics, I recommend that you begin by trying a Clear Scraps album as your first clear product. Of course, if you’re too intimidated at the prospect of doing an entire clear album, you could always ease into working with clear products by doing a clear scrapbook layout using either a Clear Scraps acrylic sheet, or some Clear Scraps extra large shapes. But really, there isn’t anything to be nervous about. Clear Scraps acrylics are just about as versatile as pieces of paper are! And, remember that if you make a mistake, you can always cover your Clear Scraps album page with cardstock or patterned paper to hide the mistake, and start fresh.
The Pros: Things I like about Clear Scraps Acrylic Albums
- Clear Scraps acrylics are flexible, and extremely versatile. The flexibility of the acrylic makes a big difference in how you can work with and manipulate the material; as a matter of fact, you can do a lot of the same things with it that you could do with a sheet of paper. For example, you can emboss Clear Scraps acrylic in the Cuttlebug machine. You can even die cut it in certain die cutters (not all of them will work, but they definitely can be cut in both Sizzix and Accucut machines, and possibly others too.) There are other brands of acrylic that are completely rigid and inflexible; in comparison, there is very little you can really do with those products. Clear Scraps is the clear winner when it comes to versatility.
- Unlike some manufacturer’s clear albums, Clear Scraps acrylic albums come with binder rings, which eliminates the hassle and expense of searching for binder rings separately.
- It takes a lot of manhandling to crack this acrylic. I’m not going to say that the acrylic can’t be cracked, but, you’d have to be doing something pretty crazy to it to make it crack. It really withstands a lot of use and abuse. If you’re a careless scrapper, or a beginner, Clear Scraps is definitely the acrylic for you; I wouldn’t even bother with products like the Fancy Pants Clear Cuts which crack very easily unless you are meticulously careful with them.
- Clear Scraps acrylics can be punched. I recommend using a Crop O Dile tool for best results, but you can also use some of the
Fiskars Hand Punches and other punches too. I’ve had varying degrees of success with different punches; I was able to punch quite well using the Fiskars square hand punch and also with the EK Success Whale of a Punch Tag punch. I should also note that most of my punches have been used and overused to death, so, keep in mind that I’m talking about punching these acrylics with dull punches that have a lot of mileage on them.Sponsored Links
- Clear Scraps acrylics can be stamped. (Use Stazon Ink for best results.)
- Clear Scraps acrylics can be painted on. You can use alcohol inks and / or certain acrylic paints to do this, plus there are other painting techniques you can use as well.
- You will be thrilled with the selection of products that Clear Scraps has to offer; they manufacture a fantastic variety of different shapes and sizes of albums and embellishments.
- Clear Scraps products strike the perfect balance between “trendy” and “classic”. The designs are all very updated and look perfectly current, yet, the designs will also stand the test of time.
- Clear Scraps Acrylics can be successfully dressed up or down, in any way you like.
- Clear Scraps Products are Made in the USA.
The Cons: Things I don’t like about Clear Scraps Acrylic Albums:
I can honestly say that there isn’t a single thing I don’t like about these albums!
The Pros: Clear Scraps Chipboard Albums:
One of Clear Scraps’ newest innovations is chipboard albums. The chipboard that they have released so far is bare and uncovered, which makes it very versatile; you can finish it off in any way you choose. The chipboard products are really affordable, too. The thing I like best, though, is that the chipboard and acrylics coordinate; Clear Scraps makes their chipboard in some of the same exact sizes and shapes that they make their clear acrylics, so you can mix and match chipboard pages with acrylic pages to create your own custom mix of materials. (You can click here to see my scalloped 2009 calendar, which mixes and matches clear acrylic pages with chipboard pages.) Overall, I think the matching chipboard and acrylics are a clear cut winner. I will definitely be doing more projects with these!
Some of my favorite Clear Scraps products:
I just love the “All Mixed Up” album! In my personal opinion, some of the other mix and match type albums that are available are a bit, well, chaotic. While I can admire them on someone else’s coffee table, I really prefer to keep my own albums somewhere in the realm of neat and orderly. This album is just perfect. It offers a neat, tidy, coordinated twist on the “mixed up album” trend. It’s not too chaotic. Not too mismatched. The shape is unique and out of the ordinary, without being too crazy or “out there”. I’ll take two, please! One acrylic, and one chipboard. I haven’t used them yet- as of the time of this posting, I have been hoarding them for the “perfect project idea” to manifest itself. So if you want to see what I will make with these, please check back!
I am also totally thrilled and delighted with ALL the brand new Clear Scraps product releases for January 2009 CHA! You have got to see them! They are all outstanding. Click here for a sneak peek! These are not available in stores yet, but when they are they will be added to the Clear Scraps page of this web site.
More Information About the Product Reviewer:
In the interest of full disclosure, you should know that I am a former member of the Clear Scraps design team, so this is hardly an unbiased review. On the other hand, you should also know that the only reason I bothered to apply for the Clear Scraps design team in the first place is because I love, love , LOVE Clear Scraps albums and embellishments. They are so well suited to the way I scrap, and they are my favorite clear albums out of all the ones I have tried so far. Please believe me when I say that I would not have applied for the Clear Scraps design team in the first place if the products weren’t so fantastic. I really hope that you will give them a try if you haven’t already, and that you will love them as much as I do!
Posted by: Amy Solovay
Where To Buy Clear Scraps Albums and Scrapbooking Supplies:
Clear Scraps acrylic albums, chipboard albums, and acrylic scrapbooking supplies are available for sale from the following scrapbooking retailers: