Posted by Amy Solovay
Did you know that Clear Scraps acrylics can be embossed using the Cuttlebug machine and Cuttlebug Embossing Folders by Provo Craft?
Sometimes people are surprised to learn that the Clear Scraps acrylics can actually be embossed. They emboss beautifully, but not everyone realizes this because most acrylics cannot be embossed; they are too thick and inflexible. Clear Scraps acrylics, however, are very easy to work with; they are flexible and will not chip or crack when you run them through the Cuttlebug machine with a Cuttlebug embossing folder.
The photo above shows some individual pages from Clear Scraps mini keychain albums that have been embossed and embellished. These mini pages are so tiny and cute; they are the ideal size for embossing in the Cuttlebug machine using Cuttlebug embossing folders. Keep in mind that the entire product line of Clear Scraps’ clear acrylics can be embossed as well. From top left to right:
- Page from the Clear Scraps Tree shaped mini keychain album, embossed with the Cuttlebug “Traffic Jam” embossing folder. The tree was sprayed with a tiny bit of Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels, and then inked with cactus green Stazon ink by Tsukineko.
- Next we have another Tree mini page that was embossed using the Numbers Collage Cuttlebug Embossing Folder. The tree was embellished with Honeydew Glimmer Mist Glimmer Mist and Zig Painty pens
- The assymetrical heart shaped mini page was embossed using the Textile Cuttlebug embossing folder and inked with cactus green Stazon ink.
- The 2 trees below that were embossed using the Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, painted with Meadow alcohol ink, and embellished with Zig Painty pens
- The last tree was embossed with the Cuttlebug “Traffic Jam” embossing folder, painted with alcohol inks, and embellished with Zig Painty pens.
The photo above shows even more individual pages from Clear Scraps mini keychain albums that have been embossed and embellished. From top left to right:
- The top 3 mini pages are from the Clear Scraps tag shaped mini keychain album. They have been embossed with the Cuttlebug “Textile” Embossing folder by Provo Craft.
- Front and Center below that is a page from the Clear Scraps heart-shaped keychain mini that has been embossed with the Cuttlebug numbers embossing folder.
- Next we have a Clear Scraps cupcake shaped mini keychain page, which has been embossed with the Cuttlebug Textile Embossing Folder and then inked with Stazon Opaque White ink. The finishing touch is a gorgeous Silver Star Sticker by Best Creation. These stickers are absolutely fabulous in person, and unfortunately my photo of the sticker does not look nearly as nice as the actual sticker looks. The entire effect is shimmery shiny loveliness.
- To the right of that, we have another Clear Scraps cupcake mini page which has been decorated using some brand new fun supplies by Tsukineko. Stazon ink is now available in bottles that can be used with Tsukineko Fantastix. Just dip the Fantastix in the Stazon and use them to color! Pretty cool. So what you see here is a Cupcake mini page decorated with Stazon and then the raised embossed area was embellished with Zig gold Painty pen.
- Next is another cupcake which remains clear but the embossed area was decorated with Zig gold Painty pen.
- At bottom left is a page from a Clear Scraps flower shaped mini keychain album, which has been embossed with the Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder. The raised embossed area was colored using Zig Painty pen in the “Mauvy Star” color — a delicious, feminine shade of pink.
- At bottom right is another flower shaped mini page which has also been embossed with the Textile Cuttlebug embossing folder. The embossed areas were embellished using Liquid Pearls by Ranger.
From Top Left To Right:
- Clear Scraps Asymmetrical heart shaped mini acrylic page embossed with the Cuttlebug Textile Embossing Folder. The back was inked with Stazon Opaque White ink; the embossing was embellished with Zig Gold Painty Pen.
- Clear Scraps Asymmetrical heart shaped mini acrylic page embossed with the Cuttlebug Textile Embossing Folder. The embossing was then inked with Fuschia Pink Stazon Ink, and I added a polka dotted pink ribbon tied in a bow. So cute!
- Next we have a Clear Scraps flower mini page which was embossed with the Number Collage Cuttlebug Embossing Folder. It was painted with Ranger Alcohol Inks and then embellished with Zig Painty Pens.
- Last is a Clear Scraps tag shaped mini page which was embossed with the Number Collage Cuttlebug Embossing Folder and then outlined with White Zig Painty Pen.
As you can see, there are almost unlimited ways you can use embossing to dress us your clear acrylics by Clear Scraps. I could have kept playing for days and still wouldn’t have run out of ideas! Another idea for you to try: take your embossed acrylic and sand the raised areas with either a sanding block, or sandpaper, or even an emery board. (A sanding block will be easiest if you have one.) This will give you a really cool contrast: the sanded part will look like frosted glass, while the un-sanded part will stay clear. Try it! The effect is really beautiful.
How To Emboss Clear Scraps Acrylics With The Cuttlebug Machine:
Choose your embossing folder and your acrylic to emboss. You’ll need an A plate plus 2 B plates. Put your A plate down first, then a B plate, then the embossing folder with the acrylic, and then another B plate. Crank it through. Remove the embossed acrylic from the embossing folder and embellish as desired. It’s that simple!
Where To Buy a Cuttlebug Machine and Cuttlebug Embossing Folders by Provo Craft
Cuttlebug Machines, Cuttlebug Embossing Folders, and Cuttlebug Dies For Sale on Ebay:
You can usually find good deals on Cuttlebug Machines, Cuttlebug Embossing Folders, and Cuttlebug Dies on ebay. Some of them might be used; some of them might be new; sometimes you might find a good deal from a scrapbooking store that is either overstocked or going out of business. You never know what you’ll find, but it is possible that you might find a great deal on a Cuttlebug Machine for cheap!
Supplies For Embellishing Your Clear Scraps Embossed Acrylics: