San Felipe, Mexico Mini Clear Album Using Clear Scraps Coasters
Album Designed and Photographed by Amy Solovay
Conversation overheard at our house earlier:
Husband: “Whatcha doin’, honey?”
Me: “Putting glitter and ribbon all over your dirt biking photos!”
Hahahahahaha! I just love messing with him!
Typically, if you ask me I would tell you that glitter, ribbon, and dirt biking photos do not mix. But, in this case, I think I was able to make them work.
Size: This clear acrylic mini album measures approximately 4 inches.
Photo Size: This is an ideal way to use 4×6 photos (cropped slightly, of course, to 4″ x 4″ or smaller.)
Craft Supplies: I made this album using Clear Scraps clear acrylic coasters.
Then I bound the album pages together using a book ring.
The glitter I used is more shimmery than glittery, and it isn’t a glitter in the truest sense of the word. It is actually a mica powder, known as Pearl-Ex. To make it sticky, I mixed it with adhesive (Zip dry paper glue).
I applied the Pearl-ex/adhesive mixture with a stipple brush to several pages of the Clear Album to highlight and accent the pages. On the front cover, I used colors that I thought would resemble sand, and I love the way the cover turned out. On other pages I experimented with using blues and greens, and I don’t think those are as successful. If I had it to do over again I would stick with the same color combo used on the front cover.
Zip dry paper glue is my favorite adhesive for using with clear albums, and it’s quickly becoming my favorite adhesive, period. It doesn’t wrinkle paper. It dries completely clear, which is perfect for clear albums. And the bond is really strong and it won’t weaken over time, unlike some other adhesives I have used in the past.
- 2 (or more) packages of Clear Scraps coasters. Each package contains 3 clear acrylic coasters, so plan accordingly for the number of pages you need. I’m planning to add even more pages than the ones you see here.
- Fiskars square 3/16″ hand punch
- Stipple brush
- Zip dry paper glue
- Assorted ribbon
- Markers~ You’ll need ones that will write on acrylic. I used an assortment: paint markers, , Sharpies, and American Crafts Slick Writers are the ones I generally turn to for outlining page edges, outlining photos, and things like that. Any of the markers you see on this pens and markers page will also work well for this purpose.
- One book ring of your choice.
- Letter stickers — I used stickers that were discontinued long ago (They are Creative Imaginations Fiesta ABC Letter Stickers.) However, it should be easy enough for you to find some cute alphabet stickers that suit your photos if you’d like to make a similar album.
- Punch holes in the upper corner of each Clear Scraps acrylic coaster.
- Adhere your photos and stickers as desired.
- Stipple your Pearl-Ex / Adhesive mixture onto the pages of your choice.
- Outline appropriate photos and page edges with markers or pens.
- Attach the book ring and tie assorted ribbons to it to embellish.